September 30, 2011

Shopping in Istanbul (or why not to buy from YSL!)

Starting today, I would like to present you a small shopping guide, consisting of lessons I learned in Istanbul.

The item I will discuss today is a pair of earrings I bought from Turkey, which I totally adore. They became my favorite jewelry as soon as I saw them. The special thing about them is that they are inspired from the royal Ottoman jewels, so the model is 100% Turkish. I have also seen at the store where I bought them from rings, bracelets, necklaces and so on, all made of silver and pleated with 24k gold.


And here comes the big question: Aren't them familiar to you?
Of course they are! They are the source of inspiration for YSL's arty jewels! Shame on you, YSL! Too good I haven't bough the arty ring, I hate expensive fakes!! I guess that so do you, that' s why I wanted to share these news with you!

What I can tell you about YSL's Arty jewelry: I couldn't find the base material they used to make these jewelry. All I can tell you is that they are gold pleated as well, but they don't specify how many karat does it have.
So the material used in YSL's jewelery is way much cheaper than the one used in the original Turkish ones.

The stones used in the YSL ones aren't even semi-precious, some are only enamel, some are only colored glass.
The stones used in the Turkish jewelery are semi-precious, such as citrine, pink Quartz, Amethyst and so on.


To sum up, I would like to ask you another question: What do you think now about YSL jewelery? Would you still buy their expensive fakes?
I feel really sorry now for not taking photos of the Turkish store, to show you all of their lovely jewelery and how does the original arty ring looks like... Especially the arty dots rings, which are 100% Ottoman.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful! :)

    http://liberty-walk-sara.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dear,

    congrats on being chosen for this week`s Links a la Mode!

    Best, Jenny

    http://www.dresscodehighfashion.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. I knew designers used things like this for inspiration but never expected that they took them so literally and then changed them for the worse (change in metal). Think a trip to Istanbul is in order now!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant.
    Like you, I prefer affordable stuff.
    Thanks for this great post.
    Joy x

    http://alexdrakevintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, do you remember the name of the store you found these in? I'm going to Istanbul in just a few days and would REALLY love to get my hands on these! Thanks already in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! No, but it is somewhere around the Grand Bazaar. Send me an e-mail and I will give you a map of the area where you find this shop (mihaela_gi@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...